In this article, you will get to know the best roofing sheets for house, but we have to know the reason behind why roofing sheets? There is a significant change in the roofing sheets industry because of two reasons. One, the market growth of industrial applications in India. Secondly, consumers being dissatisfied with the available conventional options and looking for more value for their investments in roofing sheets.
This has created a higher demand for different kinds of sheets for protecting the roofs and walls of domestic, commercial, and industrial buildings. So in this article let us focus only on the types of roofing sheets and the best roofing sheets for house.
Table of Contents
Types of roofing sheets
Before we get into the best roofing sheets for house, let us discuss the types of roofing sheets available in the market, and let’s compare the cost. There were many different types of roofing sheets but we categorized mainly into four types; they are corrugated, Poly-carbonate, Metal, and Plastic roofing sheets.
Let’s discuss in detail;
Corrugated roofing sheets
- The wavy construction on the surface of the sheet increases its strength and durability. We can make any material into a corrugated or flat shape depending upon requirements.
- But nowadays corrugated sheets have become the most preferable option to flat roofing sheets because of the following reasons.
- Corrugations strengthen the sheet.
- Corrugated sheet drains water effectively.
- The holes in the corrugated sheet are drilled at the crown and hence fewer chances of rainwater seeping through the roof.
- They are elegant compared to the plain sheets.
- Corrugated roof sheets are also a low-maintenance option as they only require maintenance every 5-10 years.
Cost: In India, regular corrugated sheets are available in the price range of Rs 250/square meter to Rs 500/square meter approximately.
Polycarbonate roofing sheets
- Polycarbonate roofing sheets are available in a variety of qualities and sizes. They are lighter in weight, yet durable, and resistant to breakage and cracks.
- Polycarbonate roofing sheets are mostly used in industrial and large-scale commercial buildings.
- Their maintenance cost is very low.
Cost: Generally, the price range of polycarbonate roofing sheets varies from 800/square meter to 1500/square meter.
Applications: swimming pool areas, sky lighting, walkways, and display signboards.
Examples: Foam backed polycarbonate and clear polycarbonate roofing sheets are the most commonly used types of polycarbonate sheets.
Metal roofing sheets
- The roofing sheets made up of metal usually comprise of Zinc, Aluminium, Copper, and Tin.
- These metal sheets can be customized to create rooftops varying on the basis of their price, durability, style, energy efficiency, longevity, and aesthetic value.
- Available in lots of styles, textures, and colors, also they are less curvy than corrugated roofing sheets.
- Metal roofing sheets possess high insulating and can withstand high winds, snow, hail, torrential rains, and fire.
- Generally, metals don’t rot, crack, split or break easily. Metal sheets are resistant to attacks by insects and pests.
Cost: In India, the price of metal roofing sheets generally varies between 250/square meter and 350/square meter.
Title: Types and Best roofing sheets for house
Plastic roofing sheets
- plastic sheets are the least preferred option for roofing applications in most places in the country.
- Plastic roofing sheets are less durable when compared to other types of sheets, so these are used as garden sheds or for covering temporary structures.
- The cost of the plastic roof depends on the quality of the plastic. So this elevates the overall cost of the installation of plastic sheets.
Cost: The prices of plastic roofing sheets generally vary in the range of Rs 500/square meter to Rs 1000/square meter.
Examples: Fiber-reinforced plastic (FRP), PVC, etc…
Best roofing sheets for house
From this discussion, I think you got a clear idea of roofing sheets available in the market and the comparison between them.
Every type of roofing sheet has its own importance. Galvanized iron sheets and cement roofing sheets are good roofing materials but in my view, metal roofing sheets are best among all the roofing options because of many reasons.
So here I will provide top 10 reasons to justify my statement;
- Reduced Costs In the Long Run: As we know the cost of metal roofing sheets is a bit higher than concrete or Asphalt sheets. But when we compare for the long term, due to high durability of metal sheets than all available options in the market, and costs fewer repairs offers longer product life.
- Light Weight: Metal has less weight and more strength when compared to other roofing solutions.
- Fire Resistance: This means in case of fire the building is less at risk of destruction and also the damage of the whole roof is also not possible.
- Simple Installation: Metal roofs are built by joining the metal sheets together, the installation is quick and requires less labor cost.
- Environmentally Friendly: Metal is an environmentally friendly material as it can be recycled and used efficiently without wastage.
- Estimated Long Life: These require fewer repairing costs over a long time and provides safety against seepage or leakages.
- Energy Efficiency: The concept of using metal roofing can be found in green construction which is widely being practiced in developed countries to keep the carbon footprint at the lowest rates.
- Weather Resistance: Metal roofs are weather resistant and are less likely to get damaged in case of extensive rains, freezing and thawing cycles, or even extreme heat.
- Easy Repairs: Metal roofs are installed in a professional and strategic manner, in case of any repair needs, the whole roof is not disturbed and only the specific area to be repaired is fixed. This saves a lot of money and time, as there will be no need to schedule days or weeks for the repairs.
- Long Term Solution: As we discussed these are best for the long run with few repairs, If roofing sheets are inspected regularly by professionals then automatically service life will be increased to decades.
Title: Types and Best roofing sheets for house
In my view, the usage of RCC roofs, GI roofing sheets, and asbestos-cement sheets for roofing purposes are still around and are here to stay for many years.
The affordable price of the GI sheet is still capturing the attention of buyers for more reasons than one. So Assess your exact requirements and budget before setting out to buy the most suitable roofing sheets as per your requirement. Along with conducting some research on your own.